Chief United States Probation Officer for the Eastern District of New York Rob Capers '96 to Deliver 170th Commencement Address
We are pleased to confirm that the commencement ceremony for the Class of 2021 will take place on
Friday, May 21, 2021 at Saratoga Performing Arts Center promptly at 9:00
Each graduate will be given three (3) guest tickets.
Although we would like to accommodate an unlimited number of guests, we must adhere to the guidelines set by New York State and SPAC. As of April 8, lawn seating at SPAC is not available.
Everyone attending commencement will be required to wear a mask, present a ticket, answer health screening questions, and provide proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to enter SPAC for the ceremony.
Follow the Class of 2021 Graduation Checklist to prepare along with the complete details on admittance below.
There will be many updates about the ceremony over the coming weeks, please read each email and update carefully to not miss any deadlines or other important information.
Be aware that failure to follow the required actions will mean that you or your guests will not be able to enter SPAC for the ceremony.
Registration for Attendance & Tickets
- Graduates will be sent an email from
firstname.lastname@example.org via Survey Monkey on April 9 to register.
- All graduates are asked to complete the survey to indicate if they plan to attend Commencement in person, virtually, or not at all.
- It is important to register even if you do not plan to attend in-person as this will free up seats for the other graduates who do plan to attend in-person.
Guest seating will be assigned in the order the registration survey is received.
- The registration deadline is April 30.
- Ticket pickup will be on
May 17-19 from 9 a.m.- 3 p.m.in the Albany Law School Business Office Suite (If there is a conflict, email
email@example.com with "Commencement Tickets" in the subject line.)
Graduates - Virtual Logistics
- Graduates who opt to attend Commencement virtually will be sent a calendar invite with a direct link to participate in the ceremony.
- Virtual Graduates will be displayed on screens at SPAC when their name is announced
Graduates - In-Person Logistics
- Graduates must wear a mask throughout the ceremony (even when seated)
- Graduates must have a ticket as all seating will be assigned. There will be no exceptions.
- Graduates must complete the COVID-19 health screening questions through the Albany Law Daily Health Text System
- Graduates must show proof of full vaccination (at least 14 days after the second Moderna or Pfizer vaccination, or 14 days after Johnson & Johnson), or proof of a negative PCR test within 72 hours or a negative rapid test within 6 hours of entry to SPAC.
All graduates are strongly encouraged to get vaccinated to expedite their entry. No one will be allowed to enter SPAC if the required documentation is not presented.
- The NY State Excelsior Pass for testing and vaccination records will be used and we encourage everyone to sign up
- A vaccination card or a copy of the negative results is also acceptable
- Graduates must bring a photo ID
check-in at the
located near the Hall of Springs (108 Avenue of the Pines, Saratoga Springs, NY,
Behind the Automobile Museum)
from 7:30-8 a.m. Students will not be allowed to enter prior to 7:30 a.m.
- Graduates will be provided additional lineup directions in May
- Graduates will be assigned a line leader and will be notified in advance which student is in front of them and behind them in line
- The ceremony will last approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes
- After the ceremony, graduates will exit the amphitheater in a specific order as directed from the stage.
Regalia and Stage
- Regalia must be ordered by Monday, April 26 (see albanylaw.edu email for link)
- Regalia will be shipped directly to the graduate and include robe, cap, and hood
Graduates should arrive at SPAC wearing both the robe and cap but carrying the hood. Please do not wear the hood.
- There will be no extra regalia available on site.
- Graduates will carry the hood on the stage and hand it to the faculty member, who will then place the hood on the graduate.
- Photos will be taken during hooding.
- Graduates will receive a mock diploma presented by the Chair of the Board of Trustees.
- Graduates will continue across the stage and pose for a photo with Dean Ouellette.
Guests - In-Person Logistics
- Guests must wear a mask throughout the ceremony (even when seated)
- Guests must have a ticket as all seating will be assigned. There will be no exceptions. As of April 8, lawn seating is not available.
- Guests must complete a COVID-19 health screening form at the gate.
- Guests must show proof of full vaccination (at least 14 days after the second Moderna or Pfizer vaccination, or 14 days after Johnson & Johnson), or proof of a negative PCR test within 72 hours or a negative rapid test within 6 hours of entry to SPAC.
All guests are strongly encouraged to get vaccinated to expedite their entry to Commencement. No one will be allowed to enter SPAC if the required documentation is not presented.
- The NY State Excelsior Pass for testing and vaccination records will be used and we encourage everyone to sign up.
- A vaccination card or a copy of the negative results is also acceptable.
- Guests must bring a photo ID.
Guests will check-in at the main gate near the SPAC Box Office between 8-9 a.m. No guests will be allowed to enter prior to 8 a.m.
- Guests will be seated together in assigned three-seat pods and cannot be separated.
- Guests are required to stay in assigned seating areas before and during the ceremony.
- After the ceremony, guests will exit the amphitheater in a specific order as directed from the stage.
- April 15, 2021 - Application for Graduation on WebAdvisor
- April 26, 2021 - Regalia ordered (see albanylaw.edu email)
- April 30, 2021 - Commencement Registration (email from
firstname.lastname@example.org on April 9)
- The ceremony will be streamed live on
www.albanylaw.edu and start at 8:30 a.m.
- Photos of graduates and the ceremony will be available from
Genesee Photos and on the school's Flickr page as soon as possible.
- Everyone attending the ceremony is
required to wear a mask at all times (even when seated)
- All attendees are required to remain 6 feet apart from those not in their party.
- Restrooms on the SPAC grounds will be available
- Following the ceremony, SPAC will be closing the grounds to prepare for the next graduation. Everyone will need to exit in a timely manner.
- Graduates and guests are encouraged to explore the park, outside of SPAC Grounds, to take photos following the ceremony.
- As information becomes available, graduates will be notified by email from
- Updates will be posted on the law school's Commencement website and social media as they become available.
- Further information will be available during Dean Ouellette's
Town Hall on April 15 at 4:30 p.m. check your albanylaw.edu email for details.
For questions or more information, please contact:
Andrea Irizarry, Associate Director of Academic and Student Programs