The Gabrielli Competition gives second-year students at Albany Law School the opportunity to practice written and oral advocacy skills in intramural competitions. The subject matter for the competition encompasses a broad range of current issues of social and legal importance.
Jenna M. DiBenedetto, Competition Chair
Nathaniel Altman, Competition Associate
Associate Dean Rosemary Queenan, Faculty Advisor
Overview of Competitions Requirements
Eligibility: All second-year Albany Law students who have completed Introduction to Lawyering and have a GPA of 2.0 or above may participate in the Competition.
Team Organization: Participants may choose their own partners and team members cannot be changed after the final date for submission of briefs, except under exceptional circumstances.
Brief: Each team must prepare one appellate brief. The case record is clearly divided into two separate issues for ease of dividing work.
Oral Arguments: Each team must argue in two preliminary rounds for a maximum of 24 minutes, with each individual required to argue at least 10 minutes.
Judges: A panel of three judges evaluates each argument and judges from the New York Court of Appeals or the Federal bench traditionally hear the final round.
2020 Gabrielli Appellate Advocacy Competition Results
The Finalists argued in front of a bench of very impressive and skilled judges on Thursday, November 19, 2020:
- Hon. Rebecca A. Slezak '96, NYS Supreme Court, Montgomery County
- Hon. Daniel J. Stewart '88, U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- Hon. Joanne M. Winslow '86, NYS Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Fourth Department
Nora E. Baker '22 & Lisa C. Hladik '22
Kristen M. Abele '22 & Connor M. Judd '22
Best Oral Advocates
- 1st Place: Nora E. Baker '22 and Tori L. Deyo '22 (tied)
- 2nd Place: Matthew T. Skinner '22
- 3rd Place: Kristen M. Abele '22
- 1st Place: Michele R. Di Franco '22 & David I. Umansky '22
- 2nd Place: Joshua R. Marcil '22 & Graham A. Thompson '22
- 3rd Place: Jenna M. DiBenedetto '22 & Mathilde M. Warren '22