Domenick L. Gabrielli National Family Law Moot Court Competition Set to Return for 2023
The 35th Annual Domenick L. Gabrielli National Family Law Moot Court Competition will return in person this year on Friday, March 3, 2023 and Saturday, March 4, 2023. 28 teams from law schools around the country are expected to attend.
Emma L. Salazar-Blake ’23 is this year’s Competition Chair and the Competition Associates are Joseph A. Anias ’24 and Noah Chase ‘24.
This year’s problem, written by Salazar-Blake, will address two conflicting petitions from a mother and a father, the two of which have split physical custody between their twin daughters. The issues presented to the New Scotland Court of Appeals are: (1) whether the State of New Scotland, Third Appellate Division, correctly determined that the father failed to show that the relocation to New York (and placement in the father’s physical custody) was in the child’s best interest and thus properly found that it was in the child’s best interest to return to the mother’s custody; and (2) whether the State of New Scotland, Third Appellate Division, correctly determined that the mother was the best fit to address the issue of obtaining birth control pills for the child, that it was in the child’s best interest to be able to take birth control pills, and that the statutes violate the child’s liberty interests.
Marquette University Law School (Milwaukie, WI), Regent University School of Law (Virginia Beach, VA), and University of Missouri School of Law (Columbus, MO) are sending teams for the first time.
All visiting schools:
- Brooklyn Law School
- Campbell University School of Law
- Charleston School of Law †
- Florida State University College of Law
- Howard University School of Law
- Indiana University, Maurer School of Law
- Marquette University Law School
- New York University School of Law
- Regent University School of Law
- South Texas College of Law, Houston †
- Syracuse University College of Law
- Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law †
- University of Illinois Chicago School of Law
- University of Mississippi School of Law
- University of Missouri School of Law
- UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law
- University of North Dakota School of Law
- University of Wisconsin Law School
- Villanova University, Charles Widger School of Law †
- Widener University Commonwealth Law School †
- Widener University, Delaware Law School †
†2 teams registered to compete