Research at the Institute for Financial Market Regulation explores how the structures of financial markets, law, public policy, and technology shape financial market regulation.
The Institute connects regulatory and market professionals and academic researchers in its projects. The need to base research on a solid understanding of regulatory and industry operations is a core principle of its work. The projects attempt to advance both the theory and practice of market regulation.
The Institute’s Advisory Council provides important feedback and insight on current research and emerging issues.
- David McCaffrey, “Private and Public Controls in the Over-the-Counter Derivatives Market, 1984-2015,” Working Paper, August 25, 2015 (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2642216)
- Christine Sgarlata Chung, "Municipal Bankruptcy, Essential Municipal Services, and Taxpayers’ Voice" Widener Law Journal, Volume 24, Issue 1, 2015, pp 44-79. Download a pdf version
- Ola Bengtsson, Na Dai, and Clifford Henson, "SEC Enforcement in the PIPE Market: Actions and Consequences." Forthcoming, Journal of Banking and Finance. Download a pdf version.
- David Ornstil, Hany A. Shawky, and David M. Smith, “Is the SEC Registration Status of Hedge Fund Advisers Associated with Superior Performance?” Journal of Alternative Investments, Spring, 2006, pp. 55-61. Download a pdf version.
- Ignacio J. Martinez-Moyano, David P. McCaffrey, and Rogelio Oliva, “Drift and Adjustment in Organizational Rule Compliance: Explaining the ‘Regulatory Pendulum’ in Financial Markets.” Organization Science, 25(2): 321-338 (March-April 2014) http://pubsonline.informs.org/doi/abs/10.1287/orsc.2013.0847.
- Christine Sgarlata Chung, "Municipal Securities: The Crisis of State and Local Government Indebtedness, Systemic Costs of Low Default Rates, and Opportunities for Reform." Cardozo Law Review, April 2013, pp. 1455-1538.
Available at http://www.cardozolawreview.com/content/34-4/CHUNG.34.4.pdf
- Djoko Sigit Sayogo, Theresa Pardo, and Peter Bloniarz, Information Sharing and Financial Market Regulation: Understanding the Capability Gap
6th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance (ICEGOV2012) , October 22-25, 2012, Available at http://www.ctg.albany.edu/publications/journals/icegov_2012_ifmr
- Theresa Pardo, Djoko Sigit Sayogo, and Donna Canestraro, Computing and Information Technology Challenges for 21st Century Financial Market Regulators
Proceedings of IFIP International Federation for Information Processing 2011 , September 12-16, 2011, Available at http://www.ctg.albany.edu/publications/journals/IFIP_2011_ifmr
- David McCaffrey, “Regulatory Issues in Institutional Investment Management,” Chapter 2 in Hany A. Shawky and David M. Smith (editors), Institutional Money Management: An Inside Look at the Strategies, Players, and Practices (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2011), pp. 13-33. Download a PDF version.
- David P. McCaffrey, "Review of the Policy Debate Over Short Sale Regulation During the Market Crisis." Albany Law Review, 73(2): 483-519 (April 2010). Download a PDF version.
- Christine Sgarlata Chung, "From Lily Bart to the Boom-Boom Room: How Wall Street's Social and Cultural Response to Women Has Shaped Securities Regulation." Harvard Journal of Law and Gender, 33(1): 175-245 (Winter 2010). Download a PDF version.
- Christine Sgarlata Chung and David P. McCaffrey, "Summaries of Selected Reports and Commentaries on Regulatory Reform and Financial Institutions." Prepared for the Congressional Oversight Panel for the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP), January 28, 2009.
- Gerard S. Citera, “Broker-Dealer Supervision: A New Paradigm.” Insights: The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor, 21(7): 15-23 (July 2007). Download a PDF version
- David P. McCaffrey, Amy E. Smith, and Ignacio Martinez-Moyano, “Then Let’s Have a Dialogue: Interdependence and Negotiation in a Cohesive Regulatory System.” Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 17(2): 307-334 (April 2007). Download a PDF version
- Sue Faerman, David P. McCaffrey, and David Van Slyke, “Understanding Interorganizational Cooperation: Public-Private Collaboration in Regulating Financial Market Innovation,” Organization Science, 12(3): 372-388 (May-June 2001). Download a PDF version
- David P. McCaffrey and David W. Hart, Wall Street Polices Itself: How Securities Firms Manage The Legal Hazards Of Competitive Pressures (New York: Oxford University Press, 1998). Click here for information
- David McCaffrey and Sue Faerman, "Shared Regulation in the United States Securities Industry," Administration and Society, 26(2): 204-235 (August, 1994). Download a PDF version