Accepted Students: Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to have a laptop computer?

Albany Law School students are not required to own computers, but most do. Whether you choose a PC or Mac is a personal preference and not dictated by the school. There is wireless Internet throughout the campus, so all notebooks should have an 802.11g or greater wireless card. For those who do not have a computer, there are computer labs available in the library and on the 4th floor of the 1928 building.

While we do not recommend any specific manufacturer, past experience indicates that students are better off with a name brand laptop, such as Dell, HP or Apple, that can be serviced quickly in Albany. You do not want to be without your laptop for a long period of time, especially as exam time nears and papers come due.

How can I receive proof of enrollment?

For student loan deferments, submit the form with the dates blank, sign it and include an addressed, stamped envelope to the Registrar's Office. Forms will be mailed to the student loan company once you matriculate in August. You can order an enrollment verification form on WebAdvisor once you have matriculated in August.

When will I get my schedule?

We will register you for your first-year classes. Once you have paid your deposit, you will be given access to our online student community through WebAdvisor. Your schedule will be available there in late July. You will be required to confirm your registration on the first day of Orientation.

Why do I need to submit another undergraduate transcript? Didn't one get submitted with my LSDAS report?

We received photocopies of your transcripts as part of the LSDAS report accompanying your application to law school. We are required to have an official record of all of your undergraduate and graduate work from all the schools you attended, regardless of whether or not you received a degree from that institution. The American Bar Association Standard 502, Interpretation 502-1 states: Before an admitted student registers, or within a reasonable time thereafter, a law school shall have on file the student's official transcript showing receipt of a bachelor's degree, if any, and all academic work undertaken. "Official transcript" means a transcript certified by the issuing school to the admitting school or delivered to the admitting school in a sealed envelope with seal intact. A copy supplied by the Law School Data Assembly Service is not an official transcript, even though it is adequate for preliminary determination of admission.

Official transcripts must be received before you arrive for orientation.

Do I need to have health insurance?

Yes, we do require that you provide proof of coverage. Albany Law School does not provide insurance for students. If you do not have your own insurance (or if you are not covered under someone else's policy) you can sign up for the health insurance offered through NY State of Health Marketplace. You will be given access to fill out a proof of coverage form online through webadvisor.

Do you provide an off-campus housing service?

All housing at Albany Law School is off-campus. Because there are so many colleges in the region, housing is readily available, is relatively inexpensive, and located in the residential area surrounding the law school. The law school does not screen or investigate any housing. The Admissions Office has some resource material available to assist you with securing housing, including copies of the Renters Guide and information on the adjacent student-residence facility

If you have any specific questions regarding housing, please contact the Admissions Office at 518-445-2326 or

For more information on housing, see our Housing page.

What is the cost of housing in Albany?

We advise our students to consider sharing apartments because it is typically less expensive. Rent for shared housing is about $650 a month, or $325 per person. If you are interested in sharing housing, you may submit a Roomate Request via WebAdvisor. Typically, one-bedroom/studio apartments range from $525 to $675, two-bedrooms from $700 to $850 and three-bedrooms or larger from $950 to $1150. 

Do you have study abroad programs?

Albany Law School offers several Study Abroad programs. Our students are also frequently approved to participate in summer study abroad programs offered through other ABA-accredited law schools.  

When should I apply for financial aid?

Financial aid applications are available in January and are sent to all admission applicants who are accepted. Accepted applicants who have submitted a financial aid application, including a Free Application for Federal Student Aid, will receive an estimate of the eligibility for aid.

If you have further questions, please call the Financial Aid Office at 518-445-2357 or email your inquiry to

What types of scholarship opportunities are available to incoming students?

Incoming students may be eligible for our President's, Deans', Founders', Trustees' and Admissions Scholarships. Albany Law School does not regulate the pursuit of scholarship opportunities outside of the institution, but does offer a listing of these places to look for External Scholarships. Students and parents should consult the Federal Trade Commission's scholarship scams website to learn more about spotting and avoiding scholarship scams.

What immunizations are required for me to attend Albany Law School?

For all students born on or after Jan. 1, 1957, New York State Public Health Law mandates that you provide signed documentation of proof of immunity against measles, mumps & rubella on or after your first birthday. Students will not be permitted to attend classes without proof of immunization.

MEASLES - Immunization (two injections) on or after Jan. 1, 1968, (at least 30 days apart) or positive titer or date of physician documented disease. Note : Immunizations before Jan. 1, 1968, are acceptable if there is proof that live vaccine was used.

MUMPS - Immunization (one injection) on or after January 1, 1969, or positive titer or physician documented disease.

RUBELLA - Immunization (one injection) on or after January 1, 1969, or positive titer. Note: Proof of disease not acceptable.

You may provide any health records which demonstrate proof of immunity from prior schools, physicians or a local health department. You can also be immunized by your doctor or health care provider or you can call the county health department for free immunization. If you hold religious beliefs that prohibit receiving immunizations for Measles, Mumps & Rubella, please provide a letter to the Registrar's Office.