The Racing and Gaming Law Program of the Government Law Center of Albany Law School will present its 11th annual Saratoga Institute, a program dedicated to exploring the legal and public policy implications of racing and gaming in New York state and across the country.
Topics will include "Drugs in Racing: Is a National Policy Desirable of Achievable" and "Retired and Neglected Racehorses: How Do We Do More to Help," as well as the state of NYRA and the OTB system. Speakers include leading figures in racing and gaming from across the country.
The event will take place on Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2011 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at The Gideon Putnam Resort in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. Advance registration is required. To register, or for more information, view the event brochure (.pdf) or call 518-445-3287. The cost to attend is $270, and CLE credit is available for an additional $120.
Speakers to date include:
• Jerry Bilinski, DVM, Former Chairman, New York State Racing and Wagering Board
• Raymond V. Casey, Esq., Attorney, Private Practice, and Partner, Mach 5 Technologies
• Gary Contessa, Thoroughbred Trainer
• Steven Crist, Editor and Publisher Emeritus, Daily Racing Form
• Carmine Donofrio, Steward, New York State Racing and Wagering Board
• Joseph Faraldo, Esq., President, Standardbred Owners Association of New York
• Brad Fischer, Esq., Counsel to Senator Eric Adams
• Alan Foreman, Esq., Chairman and CEO, Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association, Inc., and General Counsel, New York Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association
• Teresa Genaro, Freelance Turf Writer and New York Correspondent for Thoroughbred Times
• Jeffrey Gural, Chairman, American Racing & Entertainment, LLC
• Ellen Harvey, Coordinator of Standardbred Support Programs, U.S. Trotting Association
• Charles Hayward, President and CEO, The New York Racing Association, Inc.
• Peggy Hendershot, Senior Vice President Legislative Affairs, NTRA Charities
• Ted Hill, VMD, Steward for The Jockey Club
• Hon. Daniel Hogan, Member, New York State Racing and Wagering Board
• Mike Kane, Racing Writer
• Patrick Kehoe, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, The New York Racing Association, Inc.
• Bennett Liebman, Esq., Deputy Secretary, Governor Andrew Cuomo
• Ed Martin, President, Racing Commissioners International
• George A. Maylin, DVM, Ph.D., Director, New York Drug Testing and Research Program
• Ellen McClain, Senior Vice President and CFO, The New York Racing Association, Inc.
• Gordon Medenica, Director, New York Lottery
• Anthony Mormino, Host of “Handicappers Report” and “Capital Sports Talk” on Capital Off Track Betting, Channel 12, and Host of “The Varsity” on ESPN 104.5-FM
• Dick Powell, Racing Consultant
• Hon. J. Gary Pretlow, Chair, NYS Assembly Committee on Racing and Wagering
• Hon. John D. Sabini, Chairman, New York State Racing and Wagering Board
• John Signor, President & CEO, Capital Off Track Betting
• Chris Wittstruck, Esq., Director, Standardbred Owners Association of New York